[PD] OSX Gui problems

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Sep 19 23:43:53 CEST 2006

On Sep 19, 2006, at 10:17 AM, Libero Mureddu wrote:

>> Message: 7
>> Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:42:47 +0100 (BST)
>> From: Ed Kelly <morph_2016 at yahoo.co.uk>
>> Subject: [PD] OSX Gui problems
>> To: PD List <pd-list at iem.at>
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've been making a patch which is gui-heavy, that runs quite well
>> on Linux. The problem is it has been made for somebody who wants
>> it to work on a 1.5GHz Mac Powerbook with OSX.3. Now, the GUI is
>> slow and unresponsive at the moment, and renice-ing the GUI has
>> little effect. The GUI elements are unresponsive regardless of
>> whether the dsp is on or off. It has over 240 GUI objects.
>>
>> Having checked out the list I see that Tk/Aqua has a reputation
>> for sluggish GUI performance. Is there a version of Tcl/Tk I can
>> use that is better on OSX? And if so, how do I create the
>> Pd-0.39-2.app folder that Miller distributes? I need to be making
>> the whole thing (Pd, the patch and the externals used) as one
>> file, so the people I work for can download it, unzip it and run it.
>>
>> Best,
>> Ed
>
> Hi Ed
> ,
> I'm working on a version of Pd that uses Tcl/Tk 8.5 alpha, that should
> solve many of those problems. Until now I'm working trying to
> recompile Pd with this version of Tcl/tk.
> If you want to join the effort, you are welcome!
> You can find a version of Tcl/tk already compiled for mac at:
> http://homepage.mac.com/tigital
>
> If you check the archives, you'll find that Tigital did already some
> work in this direction. For example, check:
> http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2003-11/015649.html
>
> I think you have to recompile, putting all the externals that you
> need, provide a preference file in order to be sure that the libraries
> are loaded (as in the pd-extended version for mac by Hans-Cristoph
> Steiner), and put all together on a .dmg disk image that you can also
> compress. (See on the mac /Application/Utilities/Disk Utility, if I
> remember correctly!)

If there is a pre-built Wish.app with embedded Frameworks for 8.5,
then it would be trivial to build a Pd-extended that uses it.

Ed, you might just want to try a current version of Pd-extended, like
one of the auto-builds.  They use a much newer version of Tcl/Tk than
Miller uses.

http://autobuild.puredata.info.

I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three
and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits.      - Martin
Luther King, Jr.