[PD] numbers over 6 digits--URGENT!!

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Sep 20 15:38:21 CEST 2006

You can store the phone numbers if you make them a symbol rather than
a float.  An easy way to do that is to start the number with a +.
Otherwise, you'll have to break up phone numbers into 6 digit
chunks.  Pd's number format can only store 6 digits (unless you are
running 64-bit Pd on a 64-bit computer, then you have many more digits).

.hc

On Sep 19, 2006, at 8:42 PM, adrian goya wrote:

> mmmh,,, well, actually, I think it´s pretty much ok for what I´m
> doing, I just need to find the best way to make it work. The thing
> is that the register form has a GEM window in the background where
> a PMPD patch reacting to keystrokes make spheres dance around your
> textextruded name as you input your data and the camera changes
> position when each field is being written. Looks ok.
> For a non-programmer who doesn´t know what a string is, Pd´s open
> and non-presumtive design is still a great tool just waiting to be
> explored...(if you have the time for it, i suppose)
>
> adrian.
>

> On 9/19/06, carmen <_ at whats-your.name> wrote:
> On Tue Sep 19, 2006 at 05:49:57PM -0500, adrian goya wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Í'm building an interface for registering visitors to an expo.
> I'm on
> > windows using 0.39.2-extended-test4 and the GUI is made with
> [gripd].... So,
> > someone inserts his name, mail and phone number in 3 different
> textboxes
> > in [gripd] and everything is [pack]ed together and added to a
> [textfile].
> > The problem is that the phone numbers get converted to scientific
> numeric
> > format (eg: 0445554241424 = 4.4554e+011), so it´s of no use.
> >
> > How can I get the 0445554241424 (yes, that's a cellphone) to
> enter the
> > textfile exactly as it is written in the textbox?
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this needs to be ready
> in the next
> > 12 hours... jeje.
>
> your best bet may be rewritnig the form in rails. it should take
> about 12 minutes. PD is not deaigned for what you are doing, the
> least of which evidenced by its lack of string support, and
> propensity to reformat numbers to fit its definition of a number..
>

> > adrian.

Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy is
related to the telescope.      -Edsger Dykstra