[PD] Pduino output mode and I/O numbering differences

David Merrill dmerrill at media.mit.edu
Thu Sep 21 16:21:04 CEST 2006

Georg Holzmann wrote:
> Hallo!
>
>> I'm playing around with the latest arduino object for pd, and it
>> seems that there is a disconnect between the numbering for port I/O
>> data-direction, and setting the value of a pin. I'm using the
>> arduino-test.pd patch, as well as the [pd DIGITAL-OUTPUT] behavior
>> pulled from the arduino help patch.
> I don't really understand this - you mean you can set input/output
> mode for pin 13 with toggle 6 (and please try it in the help-patch) ?
Hi Georg,

What I'm confused about is that usually in microcontroller programming,
there is a symmetry between setting the data direction of a pin (i.e.
input or output), and setting/clearing a bit on that pin. For instance,
in AVR C, if I want to assert a HIGH voltage on pin D0, I would write:

DDRD = 0x01;    // set data direction for pin 0, port D to output
PORTD |= 0x01; // set value of pin 0, port D to HIGH

..so the same value is used both to set the data direction and set the
bit on the pin. That's what I'm confused about the example patch for
arduino - where the same number does not get passed for data direction
as for pin setting (see my previous attached .jpg). It's probably
because I didn't dig into the example to see why this mapping is
different - but since arduino/pduino is supposed to be good for physical
computing students who know little about the nitty-gritty details of
hardware/software integration, it should be as straightforward as possible.

The patch in the .jpg that I sent is the arduino-test.pd, with the "I/O
the individual pins" section taken from arduino-help.pd. I'm pretty sure
I have the latest pduino firmware - I downloaded from HCS's website
directly yesterday.
thanks,
-David

--