[PD] Miller's pd 0.40 OSX loader

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Thu Sep 21 22:01:43 CEST 2006

On Sep 21, 2006, at 2:47 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, chris clepper wrote:
>> On 9/20/06, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> wrote:
>>> Yes, on Mac OS X, the externals have to be built against a Pd that
>>> supports dlopen(), otherwise they won't work.
>> I think they just need to be built as dylib and not bundle.  I
>> have not
>> tested 0.40 to confirm yet.
>
> What's the difference between dylib and bundle supposed to be?

...from apple's docs:

"A bundle is a directory in the file system that groups related
resources together in one place. Applications, frameworks, and plug-
ins are all examples of bundles."

"...One way to reduce the file size and memory footprint of
applications is to reduce the amount of code that is loaded at
application launch. Dynamic libraries address this need; they can be
loaded either at application launch time or at runtime. Dynamic
libraries provide a way for applications to load code when it’s
actually needed."

...so conceptually, a bundle can be a dynamiclib, and much more, but
a dynamiclib is closest to a "shared library" in the linux sense...

> How do I compile something as a dylib instead of a bundle? (I
> rarely use OSX, but last time I tried I was on OSX 10.3 and/or 10.4
> compiling libs with -bundle thinking that it's the equivalent of
> Linux's -shared)

...did you see my previous emails in this thread?

jamie