[PD] Pduino output mode and I/O numbering differences

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Sep 22 22:21:29 CEST 2006

On Sep 21, 2006, at 10:21 AM, David Merrill wrote:

> Georg Holzmann wrote:
>> Hallo!
>>
>>> I'm playing around with the latest arduino object for pd, and it
>>> seems that there is a disconnect between the numbering for port I/
>>> O data-direction, and setting the value of a pin. I'm using the
>>> arduino-test.pd patch, as well as the [pd DIGITAL-OUTPUT]
>>> behavior pulled from the arduino help patch.
>> I don't really understand this - you mean you can set input/output
>> mode for pin 13 with toggle 6 (and please try it in the help-patch) ?
> Hi Georg,
>
> What I'm confused about is that usually in microcontroller
> programming, there is a symmetry between setting the data direction
> of a pin (i.e. input or output), and setting/clearing a bit on that
> pin. For instance, in AVR C, if I want to assert a HIGH voltage on
> pin D0, I would write:
>
> DDRD = 0x01;    // set data direction for pin 0, port D to output
> PORTD |= 0x01; // set value of pin 0, port D to HIGH
>
> ..so the same value is used both to set the data direction and set
> the bit on the pin. That's what I'm confused about the example
> patch for arduino - where the same number does not get passed for
> data direction as for pin setting (see my previous attached .jpg).
> It's probably because I didn't dig into the example to see why this
> mapping is different - but since arduino/pduino is supposed to be
> good for physical computing students who know little about the
> nitty-gritty details of hardware/software integration, it should be
> as straightforward as possible.
>
> The patch in the .jpg that I sent is the arduino-test.pd, with the
> "I/O the individual pins" section taken from arduino-help.pd. I'm
> pretty sure I have the latest pduino firmware - I downloaded from
> HCS's website directly yesterday.
> thanks,
> -David
>>
>>> p.s. also, clicking the "pulse all outputs" box in arduino-
>>> test.pd crashes PD after a few seconds - I suspect due to a
>>> comport problem..
>> Do you have the latest firmware and have you tried the PWN-OUT of
>> the help patch?

This stuff is definitely under development ;).  I changed [bytemask]
and [debytemask] to have the Most Significant Bit on the left most
outlet rather than before, the Least Significant Bit.  I think that
might be the cause of your problem.

You can download a newer test version of Pd-extended or download the
files in question from cvs.  They are in externals/mapping

There is no way to peace, peace is the way.       -A.J. Muste