[PD] comport port numbers :: bash trick

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Sun Sep 24 22:24:58 CEST 2006

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On the latest version of [comport], the [info( message should print
> out a similar output to the Pd window.
Don't try it on Windows though, you'll crash pd.
    for(i=1; i<COMPORT_MAX; i++)
    {
        /* TODO: this should actually probe ports */
        post("\t%d - COM%s", i, i);
    }
doesn't work as well as being useless and irritating (it is supposed to
just print 98 lines of COM names).
But since i isn't a string, post() crashes.
I'm looking into how to enumerate serial ports on Windows properly.
It looks like you have to open each device to find out about it, unlike
on linux where they are listed as files.

Martin