[PD] comport port numbers :: bash trick

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Sep 25 00:39:44 CEST 2006

On Sep 24, 2006, at 5:49 PM, Martin Peach wrote:

> Martin Peach wrote:
>> Martin Peach wrote:

>>> Don't try it on Windows though, you'll crash pd.
>>>    for(i=1; i<COMPORT_MAX; i++)
>>>    {
>>>        /* TODO: this should actually probe ports */
>>>        post("\t%d - COM%s", i, i);
>>>    }
>>> doesn't work as well as being useless and irritating (it is
>>> supposed to just print 98 lines of COM names).
>>> But since i isn't a string, post() crashes.
>>> I'm looking into how to enumerate serial ports on Windows properly.
>>> It looks like you have to open each device to find out about it,
>>> unlike on linux where they are listed as files.
>>>
>> So I changed it in cvs. Now you get a list of available serial
>> ports in Windows as well. At least it works for me but I only have
>> one port here so I don't know if it _really_ works.
>>

> Now I'm trying it on linux where I have only two ports and I get
> the full list of 32 devices. Maybe we should try probing them all
> to see which ones actually exist?

Nice work on the COM stuff, sorry for introducing a bug on
Windows. :-/  I'll be getting a WinXP autobuild machine up in the
next couple days, so that will help.

That would be nice.  On Mac OS X, the exist if they are in the file
system.  On newer Linux-based systems, that is also the case.  But
the only manually created files are still prevalent.

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess
himself of it.            - Thomas Jefferson