[PD] patching without mouse

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Sep 26 07:26:48 CEST 2006

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, hard off wrote:

> just a thought...afaik, all objects require just one line of text..ie,
> there is never any reason to hit the enter key while making an object
> (message boxes, yes...but objects, no)

There is no reason for messageboxes and comments either. All three kinds
of boxes are saved as lists of atoms, parsed by binbuf_text, which
discards all whitespace (that is: spaces, tabs, and newlines).

I'm thinking about whitespace-preservation hints that could work for all
three kinds of boxes, but it doesn't fix some other problems like how
numbers get mangled due to the parsing/unparsing of floats. This latter
problem cannot realistically be fixed by keeping the fileformat
compatible (or maybe it can - any ideas?)