[PD] datastruct newbie mistake

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 11:05:40 CEST 2006

I was about to say the coolest thing would be to be able to delete
them.  But as I think about it, it wouldn't be hard to make a patch
that would set a certain flag to -1 in place of deleting a scalar, and
then before appending new scalars, always search for any extant
scalars with -1 in that value and alter their values instead of
creating new scalars.

I've been wanting to ask advice on something.  I'd like to put
envelopes in my sequencer, so that they may be drawn as arrays, and
the array values read back during performance.  I think that each
color would have a stack of arrays, for volume, panning, filters,
effects.  The recent feature for toggling drawing instructions makes
this possible; otherwise the array would be over the notes constantly.
So my question is: is it better to 1) set up one array per color per
attribute per piece, and have it change size according to the length
of the piece, or 2) to have separate arrays added whenever a value
needs to change, and during playback the value stays at whatever its
last value was while there is no array in a certain spot?
1) would be far simpler to implement, and probably easier to use, but
2) seems like it would be less CPU-intensive, as no values are read
until an array is present.

Am I making sense?  Is there a cold hard answer, or is this one of
those ambiguous questions?

-Chuckk