[PD] circular buffer [attn. obiwannabe)

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Thu Sep 28 08:26:23 CEST 2006

This is very close to the original "resobass" from the audio example on my site.
Version 1 kinda died when I lost some abstractions. You'll have to mess about
with the controls for a while to work it.

There's 5 parts

1) Excitor is just a decaying pulse from an [ead~] generator.
2) Prefilter to set the strong components in the excitor burst.
3) The jailed delay
4) Post-filter, parallel body resonance
5) Drive - colouring distortion

The trick to taking this patch further imho is getting
the tracking of the prefilter frequency to play nice
with the note value, right now you get scales where
some notes are completely damped and others ring out
loud as one frequency scale goes in and out of phase
with the other.

Jailing here is just [clip~] units at 0.5, and
the method of clip, filter, clip, fliter is clumbsy to set
up but effective. Otherwise you get into a "whackamole" situation
where your clips spread out harmonics and you get other feedback
frequencies popping up from the sidebands. In this patch we're kind
of deliberately doing that, but in a controlled way. The key to
never getting a completely run-away note is that the feedback is
controlled by an envelope which always decays away, I think
that's labelled as "damping" or somesuch.