[PD] newbie help

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Sep 28 21:57:36 CEST 2006

Hallo,
James Hearon hat gesagt: // James Hearon wrote:

> I'm somewhat new to Pd.
>
> I got myself in a list on a subpatch thru creating an object using list
> append 1 2.
>
> The output data prints o.k.
>
> But I need to get the data back out into a message.  I understand about
> data structures and traversing using a pointer, but that leads back to the
> same problem of eventually getting the data into a message.
>
> Brute force, I think what I'm after is something like a message with set $1
> $2 $3 $4 $5 etc., etc. up to hundreds of data points, but I can't figure
> out how to elegantly step thru the data coming from a list append obj, to
> place it in a message.

You don't need to serialize the list for this: a message box has a
"set" method, as you know. You can construct a list starting with
"set" by prepending "set" in front of any list using [list prepend
set]. Now as (almost) all [list] objects generate proper list
messages, whose first word, the selector, always is "list" unless the
list-message starts with a number, you need to strip this
"list"-selector first. For that, [list trim] was made. It will make
something like "list set a b c d ..." into just "set a b c d ...". Put
all this together and you get this:

 "anything and more"

 [list prepend set]

 [list trim]