[PD] Pd *is* a programming language!

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Sep 30 05:13:42 CEST 2006

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:

> I read two Wikipedia articles, and I still have no idea what this means.
> One could conceivably run Linux under Pd?  Or the internet?  wild.

Computability doesn't usually count input/output. The internet and pd are
two examples of things relying heavily on input/output... except that you
can also use pd without input/output.

The concept is that for any solvable problem you can write a program for
it and the data together in an array large enough and let the "Turing
machine" (or other equivalent thing) process it. Then it will stop and the
result will be what you wanted.

The input/output issue is another pair of socks. Most computability
theoricians are so busy thinking about impossible situations, that they
can't even think of input/output, of pd and the internet.