[PD] threads with -rt

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Mon Oct 2 18:29:38 CEST 2006

Hi Davide,

this issue with sound interruptions from soundfiler has been known for
years, it' still one of PD's big shortcomings. My workaround has always
been to preload my sounds.

Have a look at my samplemapper abstractions for one one to deal with
that a bit more elegantly:

https://puredata.info/Members/derek/samplemapper.zip/view

best,
d.

Davide Morelli wrote:

>> there's 2 externals in cvs called:
>> tb/sndfiler
>> grh/threadlib
>>

> yeah, I use them, but I'm still having xruns problems, and I wonder if
> it is normal or not..
>
> do you get xruns loading a "normally" large soundfile (let' say a  16
> seconds stereo wav file) while playing?
>
> I suspect that the sndfiler thread is still too high (i start pd with
> the -rt flag).. i didn't mess with priorities or NICE levels, I only
> installed the ccrma rdt kernel and start jackd with -R and pd with -rt
>
> ciao,
> davide.

derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
---Oblique Strategy # 89:
"Imagine the piece as a set of disconnected events"