[PD] Question about Data Structures and passing pointers around...

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 19:07:09 CEST 2006

Hello all,

I have found that when sending messages, it is far more efficient to
pass pointers to data structures, rather than passing a list of all
the parameters in the data structure. But, it also seems that I need
to append a new data structure to a canvas that is used to store this
instance data. Because I am working with granular synthesis, I am
generating a lot of data, and a lot of elements in the canvas data
structure.

While so far, in playing with what I have done, I have not really run
into any problems with running out of memory to store all my instance
data, I was just curious is there are any concerns revolving around
creating a lot of instance data within a canvas data structure.

Is there a better way of doing this?

Did this make any sense?

Mike

--
Help the Environment, Plant a Bush back in Texas!

"I place economy among the first and most important republican
virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared.
To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with
perpetual debt."
-- Thomas Jefferson, third US president, architect and author (1743-1826)

"Give Peace a Chance" -- John Lennon (9 October 1940 – 8 December 1980)