[PD] threads with -rt

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Tue Oct 3 11:55:19 CEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 01:27 -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, Miller Puckette wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 11:30:07PM -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> >> I believe that Miller said that one ought to load sounds using [readsf~]
> >> together with [tabwrite~] in a high-sampling-rate subpatch if they want to
> >> load sounds in a realtime way. (really)
> > I did.  It's still the right way to do it...
>
> Ok, so please someone make an abstraction that does this so that users
> don't have to think that they might be doing this.

writing an abstraction doing this has two problems:
- forget about the -resize option ... it won't work
- an abstraction done for one machine won't necessarily work on another
one due to performance reasons. if the upsampling is too high, you'll
still have problems ... the upsampling factor will depend on cpu speed,
hd speed, hd load, physical position of the wave file if memory ...

so it might win the prize for the 'least scalable hack' in pd
history ... unless someone tries to implement bogosort for sorting lists

(i really don't want to sound rude, but i guess, if no one talks about
the problems, this will be considered as solution by the pd community
and there will never be a really scalable solution)

tim

--
tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

Cheat your landlord if you can and must, but do not try to shortchange
the Muse. It cannot be done. You can't fake quality any more than you
can fake a good meal.
  William S. Burroughs