[PD] some macro ideas

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Wed Oct 4 05:03:38 CEST 2006

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 14:55:55 +0200
Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:

> I would agree that embedding abstractions can be useful, but where is
> making a subpatch out of an abstraction useful,

Just in the particular case where you want to consolidate everything
into a single easy to share file.

> make "wrapper abstractions": I don't change the abstraction itself,
> but put it inside another abstraction which adds some functionality:
>
>   [myabs]
>
> then will become:
>
>   [inlet]
>   [pd do_something]
>   [myabs]
>   [pd do_something_more]
>   [outlet]

Great if your abstraction already exposes everything you might want
to access.

> But I *want* my subpatches to share the scope of the surrounding
> patch! ;)

Me too. Mostly. But sometimes I don't. :)

I love the analogy btw, so it's rather like I enjoy Pizza, but sometimes
I like Kebab, Indian, or Chinese but I only have one phone number
for Tony, Stavros, Sanjay and Chen labelled "food".

Let's see what we agree on....

Embedded abstractions inside a patch file.

Some kind of local (my $n) scoping for subpatches.

You know, on reflection this whole debate is best described as "encapsulation"
and I've been looking at OSC/RRAD lately and thinking what a great system this
is and should be more in the basic core of Pd. Perhaps a way to address a
variable behind many layers of curtains as /foo/bar/$n or something?

best,
a.