[PD] datastruct newbie mistake

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 19:33:53 CEST 2006

On 10/3/06, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> >> so the only way you can delete the t_scalar safely is by first deleting
> >> all t_gpointers that refer to it, but that's not possible... anyone
> >> correct me if I'm wrong. (I'll touch that code again eventually, but maybe
> >> not this year)
> > Late answer: It is already perfectly possible to delete a scalar in
> > edit mode: Select it and press Backspace. What's missing is a way to
> > do this though other means, e.g. by a message to the pointer or though
> > a "disappend" object.
>
> ah cool, then if that feature is already safe in the sense that you can do
> that without risk of ever crashing [pointer] [get] [set] and stuff, then
> that should be easy to add to pd itself.

Cool.  I don't know what the exact result is if one deletes a
pointed-to scalar... I'm guessing an invalid pointer that needs to be
reset.
It may not seem like a big deal for most purposes, for Pd users, but
being able to delete scalars automatically would facilitate setting up
my sequencer so that the meter of an already-existing measure could be
changed.  Changing from 4/4 to 3/4, for instance, with all the later
measures jumping forward (backward? er...leftward) and beats
disappearing from the measure in question.  Shifting the later
measures is simple enough, just by subtracting a constant from all x
values above n, but to change the measure in question, as Pd is now,
would require keeping a record of the meter of every measure, and if a
measure changes, clearing the score and redrawing everything.

-Chuckk