[PD] some macro ideas

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Oct 4 01:51:57 CEST 2006

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, padawan12 wrote:

> Which is why the idea of an "alias" isn't quite the same thing as an
> "embeded abstraction". I guess a better way of explaining what I mean is
> that an alias is a subpatch with local scope, so you can define $0- type
> things inside it like tables and then copy it with impunity, but if you
> edit the "master" copy the others all follow suit.

Really? Then what do you mean by "embedded abstraction" now?

> I think the missing ingredient in all this are "local variables"
> for subpatches.

This is complicated by the fact that many subpatches use $-variables to
access what belongs to their parent.

>> [myEmbeddedAbstraction args] inside just this patch. But I guess that
>> this is as tricky to implement as the [import] object that was
>> discussed recently on pd-dev. But maybe it isn't.

Ah, in the last mail I forgot to think about the evaluation order of
object constructors in a patch. That's going to be a big problem, or at
least an "ugly" one; sort of like the kind of reason that pushed the
authors of C to require declarations to be above the uses of functions (so
that the compiler doesn't have to parse things twice...)