[PD] OT: Computer music grad school

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 21:57:34 CEST 2006

On 10/6/06, Marius Schebella <marius.schebella at gmail.com> wrote:
> Chuckk Hubbard schrieb:

> > "Buy" is an important word there.  Can you buy an education like you
> > buy a technological device?
>
> I think yes. at least you pay for the time you occupy your teachers and
>   heated classrooms.

True, and the time spent among others with similar interests is a big
bonus, but it's not like you write a check and walk away with the
merchandise.  If you're not engaging yourself in it, it's wasted.  I
think the internet is becoming the most powerful tool the
self-motivated student can have.  Professors tend to mistrust it
because they don't know how to use it.  Yet a library can also be a
detriment if you don't figure out how to use it, and I've had about 10
orientations in the music library in 3 years here, compared to zero
sessions on internet research.  They don't get paid for me using the
internet.
Knowledge is getting cheaper.  There's a greater supply.  Monopolies
fade away, and go down trying to juice every last penny they can.

Another frustrating experience I've had over and over is that I become
interested in some subject and proceed to learn all I can about it
online and at the library.  I join mailing lists, ask questions, read
books like Miller's 'Theory and Techniques', teach myself.  Then, at
registration time, my advisor says, "Well, if you're interested in
computer music, you should take 'Intro to MIDI' class."  Can you see
where this is going?  It stems from the assumption that you get
knowledge by buying it.  Coincidentally, the music tech classes are
mostly classes in how to pay hundreds of dollars for software.  I
don't think this is just my school either.

> The thing is, that in countrys like Austria people,
> like teachers, but also housekeepers, or the infrastructure at
> universities are paid by the government. so the costs for the education
> are not comparable, I think they are not measurable at all. they are
> just paid by the commuon taxpayer.

I have mixed feelings about that, but it seems like a good idea.  Of
all the things a society can do to invest in its prosperity, helping
people learn things seems like a good choice.

> > I'm right now interested in IEM.  Everything I've heard and read about
> > it makes me want to be there.  I haven't decided where else to apply.
>
> It really depends what you want do do later? artist, teach, economy. the
>   ITP has the best reputation in interaction art (eg. integrating
> microcontollers into your projects). for classical computer music paris
> might be the right choice...(?). apart from that (money usually is
> factor number one), think of applying for scholarships at least one year
> before.

I see, thanks.  I might wait a year, but I'll do what I can.

-Chuckk