[PD] OT: Computer music grad school

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Fri Oct 6 22:04:06 CEST 2006

> > "Buy" is an important word there.  Can you buy an education like you
> > buy a technological device?
>
> I think yes. at least you pay for the time you occupy your teachers and
>   heated classrooms. The thing is, that in countrys like Austria people,
> like teachers, but also housekeepers, or the infrastructure at
> universities are paid by the government. so the costs for the education
> are not comparable, I think they are not measurable at all. they are
> just paid by the commuon taxpayer.

right, however the austrian/german way introduces less social filters
(although it still does, if you have a look at the statistics)

> > I'm right now interested in IEM.  Everything I've heard and read about
> > it makes me want to be there.  I haven't decided where else to apply.
>
> It really depends what you want do do later? artist, teach, economy.

i've never studied in the us, but from what i heard is, they are much
more individual, than in austria/germany, where you also have to learn
to work on your own ... this might also be a point to take into account
(i must say, i prefer the european way) ...
and after studying at 5 different universities and around 10 different
departments, i have to add, that the departments with the best equipment
(read: most money to buy equipment) or the good reputation are not
necessarily the best departments ...

cheers ... tim

--
tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

The aim of education is the knowledge, not of facts, but of values
  William S. Burroughs