[PD] Kaos 0.01 Release

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 15:28:57 CEST 2006

On 10/10/06, patrick <puredata at 11h11.com> wrote:
> hello,
>
> can you tell us what Kaos is for? i mean, is it for doing audio
> (texture, noise and such) or more for video. before i try to compile
> everything on linux ;) if someone done it, it could be nice to upload
> *.pd_linux somewhere thanks!!!

Well, Kaos is a front-end for the set of externals "Chaos", by Ben
Bogart (with updates from myself). And as far as what it is for, that
is pretty much up to you. The idea of "Chaos" was to produce a set of
externals that generate chaotic streams of data which can be used for
whatever purpose. While there are no direct Audio objects in Chaos,
you could use on of the objects to fill a table, and play that. Or you
could use it to generate control data for either audio or video.

And as far as having externals compiled for Linux, I HIGHLY doubt
anyone has one, as these versions of "chaos" (in the 'kaos/ext/*'
folder) have not been released publically until now. These are
different from the set that is included with the extended stuff, but
you could use Kaos to work with those, you will lose some
functionality with the searching functions. Plus, there are some
additional objects added to the Chaos Library.

Thanks for your interest, Patrick. The compile should be pretty
straight forward, as there is nothing unusual about these externals
(unless you are using Windows, and get compile errors about missing
'drand48'...). The only makefile that I have for these is for Mac OS X
10.3.9 (PPC, no Intel)...

Mike

--
Help the Environment, Plant a Bush back in Texas!

"I place economy among the first and most important republican
virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared.
To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with
perpetual debt."
-- Thomas Jefferson, third US president, architect and author (1743-1826)

"Give Peace a Chance" -- John Lennon (9 October 1940 – 8 December 1980)