[PD] PD to CV redux (Arduino)

martin.peach at sympatico.ca martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 11 20:49:43 CEST 2006

> > If I wanted to program an Arduino to send out Control Voltage for a
> > modular synth, what would the resolution be? Would it be better than
> > MIDI? Enough for microtones? Could it make quick modulations?

The DAC716 is really good for this. It has 16-bit resolution so microtones can be quite finely tuned (10V/65536levels = 153microVolt per level). So you also need a clean power supply and careful circuit layout to avoid contaminating the control voltage with clock signals and switching noise from the rest of the circuit.
It would use three or four pins of the arduino: clock, serial data, load dac, and maybe chip select if you have more than one.

Martin