[PD] pix_video 'off-target' in ext-5 w/ iSight

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 03:19:07 CEST 2006

On 10/11/06, Pete Hindle <petehindle at gmx.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi;
>
> I built a patch under extended-4 that used pix_video and counter.
>
> Under extended-5, the pix_video renders the video stream in an odd
> way on my machine: I only get a section of the image with an iSight,
> but I get the whole thing with a normal DV camera.  Can anybody tell
> me why, and how to fix it?

Try setting the dimensions to 640x480 (dimen 640 480) or opening the QT
dialog with the dialog message.  The root of iSight related problems is that
the iSight is a terrible video device and the QT code for it is equally
bad.  Apple doesn't even use the QT code for any of their iSight based apps.

A DV cam is a far better source to use.

Also, counter seems to be acting differently... is anybody else
> getting this?

The counter object is no longer part of GEM but comes from another library
(maxlib?) so that is probably why it is different.