[PD] shouldn't soundfiler by default *not* add filename extensions?

Matthias Blau blau_m at web.de
Thu Oct 12 21:20:48 CEST 2006

Hi list,

I often use soundfiler to write data from within pd to wav files. When
soundfiler is given a file name it automatically adds a .wav extension
if it is not explicitely given. (I suspect this is the way it works for
the other supported file formats as well).

So what? Imagine a user uses savepanel to choose a filename "myfile"
when "myfile.wav" is already there: Well, soundfiler adds .wav and
overwrites "myfile.wav" without any further notice. savepanel would only
warn the user if he/she had typed "myfile.wav".

This problem could easily be avoided if soundfiler wouldn't add the
extension. The only drawback would be that if one forgets to give the
correct extension one may end up with files whose type/format cannot be
deduced from their names.

I personally consider this drawback much less severe than the risk of
accidentally overwriting existing files.

What do you think?

--Matthias