[PD] Best practice for abstractions with many parameters

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Oct 12 22:20:14 CEST 2006

Hallo,
Phil Stone hat gesagt: // Phil Stone wrote:

> I'm wondering what experienced PD architects consider the best practice
> here; if the second approach is better, I begin to question the
> advisability of wired inlets for more than two or three arguments.  The
> left-to-right ordering of them, along with the rats-nest wiring caused
> by high numbers of inputs, seem to argue against them.  The only
> downside I can see to the second method is that if it's not done neatly,
> i.e., the senders are placed indiscriminately and not necessarily near
> the abstraction they're sending to -- it could become very hard to
> understand/maintain the patch.

A neat trick is to use one (!) send/receive pair for all (!) your
abstractions, but "tagging" your abstractions with an argument, that
you pass to a [route $1] inside.

An even neater trick is to use [sssad] to handle all this routing.

I'm working on a saving-tutorial which covers this in more detail.
It's almost done, attached is the preview edition.

Ciao