[PD] [OT] "processing" application

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 20:24:23 CEST 2006

I agree that you will have to explain the difference to them at some
point if they really try and do any serious project with Processing,
and furthermore: if you want to learn basic programming, there's some
minimum level of math that you need, or you just aren't going to
succeed. Learning the difference between an integer and a float is
precisely the kind of thing an introductory program SHOULD teach. I
believe it is introduced on the first day of most any programming
class, like "intro to java" or "intro to C++".

I guess the problem is more, that many artists hate math and never
thought they would need it. And in the US, that's in many cases the
fault of a horrible public school system. Even I, though I have
reasonable mathematical skills, stopped doing math way too early (at
beginning calculus) - because back then (12 years ago) I never knew
I'd be doing digital audio that required more advanced math stuff. No
math teacher ever mentioned that there might be direct musical
applications for math, and besides, I was a jazz piano player back
then.

It would be interesting to use PD to teach some math stuff actually -
I'd like to see some kind of basic fft tutorial so I can explain
Mathieu's posts on doing fft in PD, for instance! ;-)

~David