[PD] shouldn't soundfiler by default *not* add filename extensions?

Matthias Blau blau_m at web.de
Fri Oct 13 20:33:35 CEST 2006

carmen schrieb:
>>extension. The only drawback would be that if one forgets to give the
>>correct extension one may end up with files whose type/format cannot be
>>deduced from their names.
>

> nobody actually does this
>

>>I personally consider this drawback much less severe than the risk of
>>accidentally overwriting existing files.
>

> i dont see how the two are related. other than you at least know exactly which file youre at risk of overwriting when the filename isnt mangled later on..

Well, this is the point. If i am warned (in your terms: knowing exactly
which file i am going to overwrite) then this is ok.

The current behavior, on the other hand, is a serious *bug*, because pd
may overwrite a file the user had never chosen. I am talking about naive
(like most of my students) or forgetful (like most of us including
myself) users here.

By the way, it is not very difficult to see how checking for existing
files and modifying filenames at a later stage may become dangerous:
just try it out.

--Matthias