[PD] [OT] "processing" application

mark edward grimm meg156 at columbia.edu
Fri Oct 13 21:01:35 CEST 2006

I find this all fascinating to think about...

I to was schooled in the US and with US methods.  It
was a private education (Jesuit) but subjects seldom
crossed disciplinary borders.

I was always interested in computers and art but never
really saw (or was educated in) how connections could
be made between the two..

Art was painting and drawing...

Math art was cheesy fractals...

Math itself was boring as hell...

I've been struggling these past few years trying to
catch up on my education by educating myself in math
so that i CAN do interactive arts. It is a major
struggle and I feel no natural ability in it - only
sore eyes..

I have been using pd for several years (mostly using
other peoples patches to manipulate audio - gran synth
etc) but have lately been creating my own
patch/programs (just got pd compiled and running on
linux!!)..

I am wondering about resources for artists that are
for 'post-mfa' artists who what to educate themselves
in the multimedia arts - artists who (unfortunately)
were taught the traditions of art (painting, drawing
sculpture) but yearn for something more
contemporary...

What the hell is a 'float' anyway? Can the definition
be summed up in a concise paragraph in laymen
terminology rather that computer/math academically
wrapped lingo?

BTW Are there math classes using pd to teach math and
bridge math and the arts in high-schools? it would be
an interesting research study for an educational
researcher no?

Sorry for the ramble I am just very interested in the
discussion...

cheers
mark