[PD] Writing a MIDI file...or at least a qlist...to disc

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Oct 13 22:47:58 CEST 2006

Hallo,
Mike McGonagle hat gesagt: // Mike McGonagle wrote:

> On 10/12/06, Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:
> >I would really recommend to upgrade to a list-enabled Pd. It has
> >enlightement included.
>
> Frank, what's "enlightenment"?

Good question.

I'll try to limit my answer to [list]: Studying and using [list] is a
good way to understand the message system of Pd (meta-messages etc.)
not only theoretically, but by making actual use of it. One step on
the road to enlightenment could be to use [list prepend] instead of
[swap].  Then you may start to replace a lot more objects in your
patches with variants of [list]. For example most of the time I was
using [symbol] in the past I'm now using [list].

An important step may be to put [list trim] in front of most instances
of [route] you use, because this leads to the next bigger step:

Which is to realize that by letting messages pass through a [list]
object they enter a realm where all messages are list-messages and
start to be very nice and friendly to each other.  Here the real
message-work can be done in a way, that simply feels good, because
everyone understands each other.

By sending them through a [list trim] later on they leave this
friendly world and start to become very powerful, but also possibly
dangerous meta-messages. It's a cruel world out there, but you already
know that there also is a different one.

Maybe then the final step would be to use Lisp instead of Pd. Or
Forth.

Or just to ignore my silly ramblings and listen to a Joanna Newsom
record instead. ;)

Ciao