[PD] Best practice for abstractions with many parameters

Phil Stone pkstone at ucdavis.edu
Fri Oct 13 23:06:40 CEST 2006

Hi Jamie,

Nice to hear from you.  I've been having fun with a_grain, and I'm
beginning to understand it a little better.

I've attached what I've done with it so far, which uses the
no-wire/message method I described below.  I don't think this is always
the best way to go about this (see discussion on this thread), but I'm
finding it useful in this case, because it makes a complex patch with
many inputs easier to read.  Also included is the test runner (derived
from yours), which shows how the message sending objects (number boxes
and toggles) send to prefix-tagged destinations in the a_grain
abstraction (the prefix being passed to a_grain as its third argument).

I've only begun to "untangle" a_grain, as you can see.  But at least I
can see what the various parts are doing at this point.  Very cool.
I've only included the two files I changed, by the way.  Anyone else
wanting to actually try these changes needs to get the original folder from

http://www.puredata.org/Members/jb/a_grain%7E/view

then copy a_grain~.pd over its namesake, and add a_grainTest.pd to the
folder and run it.

I'm enjoying a_grain and it's helping me understand granular synthesis à
la PD; thank you for making it and putting it out there.

Phil Stone
UC Davis