[PD] Linux Audio Conference #5 (LAC2007): Call for Papers, Music, etc]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Oct 17 19:59:11 CEST 2006

Hi,

Pd users on Linux, read on.

Ciao
--
Frank

----- Forwarded message from Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> -----

Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 17:52:26 +0200
From: Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de>
Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Audio Conference #5 (LAC2007): Call for
	Papers, Music, etc

Dear all,

we are happy to announce the call for papers for the 5th Linux Audio
Developers Conference (LAC2007). The conference is organized by the
TU-Berlin in cooperation with people of the Linux Audio Developers
mailing list, the music festival Inventionen 2007 and the Humboldt
University of Berlin.

The LAC2007 is taking place at the TU-Berlin, Germany from the 22nd -
25th of March 2007.

We have introduced some new tracks. Besides the category for papers,
demos and workshops, calls for tutorials and hands on demos have been
added. The tutorials aim is to give new (potential) users an overview of
the possibilities of Linux Audio Software and how to get started. The
LAC2007 provides a computer pool (LA Pool) where developers can give an
introduction to their software and where participants can try out Linux
Audio Software during the conference. This has been combined in the call
hands on demos.
Since the TU-Berlin is installing a new Wave Field Synthesis (WFS)
system the call for music has been extended by a call for compositions
for this system. Music that can be used for radio airplay can be
submitted, and will after acceptance by the Campusradio of the TU
Berlin, be played during the conference.

More detailed Information can be found in the 'Call for Papers' attached
to this email or on the website at: http://www.kgw.tu-berlin.de/~lac2007/

We are looking forward to many interesting submissions for the Linux
Audio Conference 2007 and hope to see you in Berlin in 2007!

Please feel free to forward this email to anybody who is interested.

On behalf of the LAC2007 organisation team,
Simon Schampijer and Marije Baalman

Call for the Linux Audio Conference 2007 - 22nd - 25th of March 2007
      taking place at the Technische Universit?t Berlin
in cooperation with Inventionen 2007 and the Humboldt University of Berlin

This call includes:

Call for Papers
Call for Demos
Call for Hands On Demos
Call for Workshops
Call for Tutorials
Call for Music (categories: Concert, Club, Radio and Wave Field Synthesis)

-----------------------------

Call for Papers

 We invite submissions of papers addressing all areas of audio processing based on Linux and open source software. Papers can focus on technical, artistic or scientific issues and can target developers or users. This includes (but is not limited to) the following categories:
 Computer Music
 Music Production
 Instruments
 Drivers and Sound Architecture
 Audio Distributions
 Generic (Usage, Documentation etc.)

 The conference is held in English.

 Length of a paper is 4-8 pages. Papers have to include an abstract (50-100 words). The abstract will be published separately on the conference website once the paper has been accepted. Also, papers should include up to 5 keywords.

 In general talks should take 20-30 minutes followed by 5 minutes discussion.

 Please notify us if you need a special technical setup. The technical standard setup will be:
microphone (head set)
projector with XVGA input (resolution 1024x768)
stereo speaker setup with mini jack input
a PC with a pdf viewer

 How to submit
File format is PDF, formatted for A4 paper. Make use of the templates for paper formatting available at: http://www.kgw.tu-berlin.de/~lac2007/download/templates-lac2007.tar.gz

See our check list to ensure that you do not forget to enclose all necessary information.

Send your paper and all necessary information by 8 Jan 2007 via email to this address: lac2007 AT robin.kgw.tu-berlin.de
You will be notified by 05 Feb 2007 whether your paper has been accepted. The reviewers may ask you to modify your paper in order to be accepted. The deadline for the final version is March 1, 2007.

 Important Dates

 08 Jan 2007: Paper submission deadline
 05 Feb 2007: Notification of acceptance
 01 Mar 2007: Final version deadline

 22 - 25 March 2007: Conference

-----------------------------
 Call for Demos

 You do not need to write a whole paper, but rather a short abstract only (50-100 words). This category is mainly thought for software demos. Be aware though that in case of too many submissions papers take priority over demos...

 See section "Call for Papers" for info on the duration of talks and the technical setup.

-----------------------------
 Call for Hands On Demos

 A new item of the LAC 2007 is LA Pool: a pool with Linux audio computers, on which programs can be demonstrated. To give a "hands on" demo you can reserve LA Pool for 1 hour, of which ca. 20 minutes can be used as a general introduction and the rest should be free for participants to try out the program and ask questions.
 A Hands On demo can be held in addition to a Paper Presentation or as the presentation for the Demo, so you need to either submit a paper or an abstract as mentioned above. Additionally, you need to give us a version of your software, with clear installation instructions and requirements, so that we can install the software on the Pool before the conference.

 How to submit
See our check list to ensure that you do not forget to enclose all necessary information.
Send your abstract and all necessary information by 8 Jan 2007 via email to this address: lac2007 AT robin.kgw.tu-berlin.de

 Deadline for submissions is 08 Jan 2007.

You will be notified by 05 Feb 2007 whether your submission has been accepted.

-----------------------------
 Call for Workshops

 With respect to their content workshops do not differ from talks: Workshops can have technical focus as well as artistic or scientific focus. Workshops can be targeted to developers as well as users. See section "Call for Papers" for more info on this.

 The shape of the workshop is completely up to you. E.g. it can be tutorial-like ("how to write an ALSA driver/ a jack application/ a LADSPA plugin/ etc.") or it can be BOFS-like (e.g. a meeting of like-minded users and/or developers to exchange experience and knowledge about a specific topic), or it can be anything in between.

 Workshops can take place in seminar rooms or in a public space like the TU Lichthof. Depending on the location, attendance might be limited to ca 10 people.

 We strongly encourage you to submit early. It will be more likely to get a free slot and it will be easier for attendants to know about the workshop if it is published on the conference website. If you expect the attendants to prepare their laptops for your workshop (e.g. by installing some software) or if there are other requirements, please note so in your abstract.

 How to submit:
See our check list to ensure that you do not forget to enclose all necessary information.
Send an abstract (ca. 50-100 words) and all necessary information via email to this address: lac2007 AT robin.kgw.tu-berlin.de
The abstract will be published on the conference website once the workshop has been accepted (not before 01 March 2007 though).

 Submission deadline is 05 Feb 2007.
 You will be notified by 01 March 2007 whether your submission has been accepted.

-----------------------------
 Call for Tutorials

 New in this edition of the Linux Audio Conference will be a Tutorial track for new users. This Tutorial track will be hosted by the Media Science Department of the Humboldt University of Berlin. Proposals for additions to this Tutorial program are welcome.
 The aim of this Tutorial track is to give new (potential) users an overview of the possibilities of Linux Audio Software and how to get started. The difference to workshops is that the tutorials are given in a lecture environment and should focus on how to make music with Linux, more than going into specifics of certain programs.
 The tutorial track is supported by the LA Pool facility as attendants can try out the software themselves with hands on support.

Send a short description of your proposed Tutorial topic (ca. 50-100 words), via email to this address: lac2007 AT robin.kgw.tu-berlin.de

 Submission deadline is 08 Jan 2007.
 You will be notified by 05 Feb 2007 whether your submission has been accepted. Criteria will be based upon creating a full fledged Tutorial program for Linux Audio.

-----------------------------
 Call for Music

 The conference will include several concerts. We are looking for music that has been produced completely or mostly under Linux and/or with open source software:
Serious compositions, Electronica, Chill-Out, Ambient etc. Indicate whether you want to have your piece played in a concert like environment or a club like environment. Additionally you can submit Radio music (see below) and Wave Field Synthesis music (see also below).

 Additionally you are welcome to give a talk about your piece. We encourage you especially to show how you made the piece using open source software. Please send a short abstract (ca. 50-100 words) if you want to give a talk.

 If you want to participate, send your composition(s) to this address:

 LAC2007 - Call for Music
 Institute of Communications Research
 Sekretariat EN 8
 Einsteinufer 17
 D-10587 Berlin
 Germany

 Make use of one of the following media formats:
Media: Audio-CD, DVD, DVD-R or CD-R
File formats: aiff or wav
Channels: mono, stereo, multi-channel and multi-mono (8 channels is no problem, more than 8 must be discussed).
Samplerate: 44.1 or 48 kHz
Resolution: 16 or 24 bit
 Include the following items with your submission (in English):
A filled-out and signed printout of the form available here: http://www.kgw.tu-berlin.de/~lac2007/download/musicagreement.pdf
 For the printed program and to be published online and on the conference CD, in continuous text (no table or list please):
A short commentary on the composition(s) (each ca. 150 words)
A short Curriculum Vitae (ca. 100 words)
 Deadline for submissions is 08 Jan 2007.

 A jury will select the compositions that will be performed/played. Furthermore, the jury will give out three prices to participants to contribute to their travel expenses.

 Besides artistic criteria and technical reasons, these criteria apply for the selection:

Tape pieces or pieces which are performed by the composers themselves will generally have more chances to get included.
If we get more pieces than we can include in the program, composers who are attending the conference are preferred.

Terms and conditions for participation can be found in the form mentioned above. This form includes among other things:
I will receive no fees whether my composition is played or not.
GEMA fees (in case of performance) will be paid by the organizer.
The material I send to the TU Berlin will not be returned.

Additionally to this Call for Music, during the late night concerts there will be an open stage:

"Plug & Chill - The Linux Jam Nights"

 where attendants of the conference are invited to perform their pieces in a more club-like context. There is no deadline for this, so people can decide during the conference if they want to participate.

 However if you already know that you want to participate do not hesitate to inform us. Send us an email to lac2007 AT robin.kgw.tu-berlin.de and include a description of your equipment and a short characterization of your music (keywords only).

 During the conference it is possible to register at the info desk. Note that there is a time limit for "Plug & Chill". If we have received too many registrations already you might not get a slot.

 Contributions to "Plug & Chill" should not exceed 10 min.

 There will be a room at the TU Berlin where people can meet during the conference and rehearse for "Plug & Chill".

-----------------------------
Radio Music

 A new category in the Music call is the call for music that can be used for radio airplay. In cooperation with the Campusradio (http://www.campusradio-online.de) of the TU Berlin, who will do a live report on the conference, we invite composers, musicians and producers of Music made or recorded and mastered with Open Source tools, to submit their works.

If you want to participate, send an email to:
lac2007-radio AT robin.kgw.tu-berlin.de
with a link to your audio files.

Alternately, send your music to the address above, with the addition:
 LAC2007 - Call for Music Radio

Make use of one of the following media formats:
Media: Audio-CD, DVD, DVD-R or CD-R
File formats: aiff or wav or ogg
Channels: mono or stereo
Samplerate: 44.1 or 48 kHz
Resolution: 16 or 24 bit

Include the following items with your submission (in English): A filled-out and signed printout of the form available here (sent by mail, or by fax to: +49 30 31421143): http://www.kgw.tu-berlin.de/~lac2007/download/musicagreement.pdf
Deadline for submissions is 05 Feb 2007.

The choice of which pieces are played is in the hands of the Campusradio crew. A program listing will be on their website http://www.campusradio-online.de shortly before the conference.

-----------------------------

Wave Field Synthesis Music

Shortly before the conference, a new Wave Field Synthesis (WFS) system will be installed in one of the lecture halls of the TU Berlin. We are looking for composers who are interested in creating a composition for this system or who have already written pieces for WFS, which could be played on the system.
The WFS system will be based on the sWONDER software (http://swonder.sourceforge.net), and can be controlled by OSC.
For more information, please contact us at lac2007 AT robin.kgw.tu-berlin.de

As there is no standard format for WFS material yet, we ask for a elaborate description of the piece and some examples of previous works.
To prepare the piece for performance, it will be necessary for the composer to be present a few days before the conference. We will support efforts to get funding for this from external organizations (such as DAAD).

Send your material to this address:

 LAC2007 - Call for WFS Music

A filled-out and signed printout of the form available on: http://www.kgw.tu-berlin.de/~lac2007/download/musicagreement.pdf

----- End forwarded message -----