[PD] Ergates game-like audiovisual instrument

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Thu Oct 19 04:48:42 CEST 2006

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 07:14:18PM +0200, Tim Boykett wrote:
> This looks really nice. Must get a new toy (game controller) to try
> it out.
> (note to self)

I got mine on special for about $25 from EB. I was really suprised to
see how cheap they are. For the same price as a mouse, how come everyone
doesn't have one of these to augment the way they interact with their
computer?

> it looks a bit like fijuu from pix and julian oliver, which uses Pd
> sound stuff
> and Ogre for graphics. see fijuu.com for details. cool and
> interesting system.

Fijuu was definately an inspiration for ergates. I haven't used it,
but from an aesthetic point of view I have admired their screenshots
and videos for a long time now. Everyone should check it out; it's
wicked. <http://fijuu.com>

My goals with ergates are to make an AV instrument which depends only
on Puredata and Gem, requires only a common USB gamepad for input, and
is really easy to make custom instruments for. I hope there is room
in our community for more than one game-like AV performance system!

> someone mentioned Ogg showing some work with it, but I find nothing
> on the site.
> am I blind?

It's at the top of the screenshots page.

Best,

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx
http://mccormick.cx