[PD] PD and MacIntel

David NG McCallum d at mentalfloss.ca
Thu Oct 19 20:35:06 CEST 2006

Having bought a Macbook when they just came out, I would say that if
you're sick of headaches, don't get an intel mac just yet. If you can
wait, I'd say wait until pd-extended gets built for intel macs and
then go ahead and buy one.

But buying a ppc mac now will be buying something's that's going to be
deprecated real fast.

On 18/10/06, Damian Stewart <damian at frey.co.nz> wrote:
> I'm thoroughly sick of pd's instability around MIDI and video on Windows
> (I wanted to do my gig this coming tuesday with PD but MIDI using my
> nice new MIDI controller makes pd crash - which really isn't cool as I'm
> playing with a band...)
>
> And I'm also thoroughly sick of trying to make Linux work on my PC
> laptop. It doesn't, and I don't have the patience to make it.
>
> So I'm going to switch to a mac system, sooner rather than later I think
> (giving me, among other things, a switching power supply that doesn't
> make the entire audio rig buzz like an angry bumblebee whenever I play a
> gig and forget to bring my DI's, plus the ability to run Steim's LiSa,
> and the ability to pretend that I'm more creative just because I own an
> Apple product...).
>
> So my question is: what does the combination of Jack and PD and an
> external USB soundcard look like on a MacIntel? In the short term,
> should I get a MacIntel or a PowerPC? How about the long term?
>
> thanks :-)
>
> --
> Damian Stewart
> +64 27 305 4107