[PD] and it's PR/Marketing, or those

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Oct 20 06:43:08 CEST 2006

On Oct 15, 2006, at 5:06 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Oct 2006, Adrian wrote:
>
>> Maybe i'm just frustrated about my own lack of skill. I was
>> fascinated about projects like pdp, gridflow and especially
>> desiredata. But installing them is a hell for me as a OS X user,
>> and the least i wanna do is search/install for all the necessary
>> things.
>
> Installing those programs on OSX is also a chore for me, but that's
> mostly because I don't use OSX. I really don't have to. However, if
> you care, you could make some effort in talking to OSX users that
> are trying to make those things work. I've just received a mail
> today, telling me a list of fixes to do about OSX for the new
> makefile system which was introduced 7 months ago already.

It would be not hard to fix PDP and PiDiP to work with the nightly
builds, it just a matter of making the fixes and getting Tom Schouten
and Yves Degoyon to accept them and check them into CVS.  The latter
is usually the harder part.  Tom was until recently accepting a
number of fixes, then he disappeared again.

>> - Vastly improvement of the webcommunity, very important:
>> Except for a very good maillinglist there is no real source for a
>> community for pd on the net. The forum at hurleur.com is a joke,
>
> We don't need separate forums other than the mailing-list unless
> those forums have different focuses than the main mailing-list. For
> example, the pdmtl mailing-list is focused on French-speaking and/
> or Montréal-based use of PureData.
>
> (I don't consider web-only forums to be worth anything more than
> email-based forums, in most cases)

I think it would be good to have forums also.  Many people don't want
to subscribe to mailing lists, but they would use a web forum.  If
its easy to do, I think we should set up Plone forums and let that
stuff just happen.

>> and that the official site is deadland is just sad.
>
> Which official site? Do you mean http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/
> software.html or http://puredata.info/ ? I think that Hans is
> already making quite a bit of effort to maintain the latter... What
> do you want it to be?

IOhannes does a lot of work on the website too, probably more than
me. I do mostly the /dev/ and /docs/developer sections.

>> Furthermore the site needs to be ordered and probably hardly
>> overworked,
>
> "hardly overworked" is almost certainly two bad translations put
> next to each other. (Maybe you should consult a dictionary.)
>
>> there is nothing wrong in making it accesible to as many people as
>> possible by runnig it in plone, but is it nessecary?
>
> You want to prepare the terrain so that in the next email you may
> suggest replacing Plone by your favourite content management
> system; however you're doing a bad job of arguing against Plone,
> especially because you're not arguing against it.

I have to say I am not a fan of Plone at all.  It is heavy and
overcomplicated.  But its there, so unless someone wants to setup and
maintain something else, then we should make the best of it.

>> The people accesing the site now will probably not need that the
>> site is universible compatible with every last browser on this
>> earth and history, etc.
>
> Yeah, like what do you mean by that? Why do you care that the site
> is too compatible???
>
>> - And last, the documentation:
>> Order, Unifying, Improve
>
> If you care, participate. There was a talk about the PureData
> Documentation Project in Bergen, Norway, *today*, by Ben,
> Alexandre, Darsha, Stéphanie and Koray. There are PDDP meetings
> online as well, especially on IRC, but there hasn't been one since
> last spring if I recall correctly.

We are starting them up again, look for announcements on the list.  I
think Thursday afternoon Eastern Time, evening Europe time is going
to the time.