[PD] and it's PR/Marketing, or those

Kyle Klipowicz kyleklip at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 15:44:43 CEST 2006

I agree with Frank, forums tend to rub me the wrong way.  For one, they're
always full of posts like this:

"lolz yah i like ur stuff itz trancey w a lil  bbit of dnb...
raz0r
10gHz Pentium V 20 Gb Ram Ableton Live 6.5 Plone Bidule reaktor 6 Virsyn
Terra (blah blah blah more wankery here)"

I also really enjoy the push method for the info, since it allows me to
decide how to arrange the data once it's sent (I prefer gmail's way of
handling threads, personally).  Maybe if more forums utilized rss feeds, I'd
feel differently.

~Kyle

On 10/20/06, Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> > >I think you have a really good point. How can we improve this
> > >situation and make the list friendlier?
> >
> > Hehe, good luck with that one, we are a grumpy and stubborn group!  I
> > think a forum would be more successful.
>
> The term "more sucessful" is open for interpretation. One thing that a
> forum would not be sucessful in would be to drag over me to use it a
> lot. I guess some others also don't like to use web based forums
> (IOhannes?). I just prefer writing mails in Vim and with Mutt over
> having to visit a website with a browser and then fight with HTML
> textareas. It's just too complicated for me.
>
> Another difference between lists and forums is the push vs. pull
> nature: mailing lists get delivered to you, a forum has to be visited.
> That might be why some people are more annoyed by a mailing list in
> general: mails may unconciously be viewed as a nuisance because we all
> already get so many of them. Also in a web-forum threads are much more
> clearly devided and they are more anonymous. The famous "newbie" could
> even have a special "newbie-quesiton-account". Of course this is
> possible with mailing lists as well, but more work.
>
> I guess the only real solution would be to have a mailing list
> software which doubles as a configurable forum - like the old mailing
> list to NNTP-news gateways.
>
> Ciao
> --
> Frank Barknecht                 _ ______footils.org_ __goto10.org__