[PD] and it's PR/Marketing, or those

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Oct 21 13:16:19 CEST 2006

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006, Chris McCormick wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 11:44:15PM -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> Just because the web is the web and is equated with cool. Also many
>> webforums have extensive facilities for making smileys that appear as
>> icons. That's what's important.
> What the heck people, is it neccesary to be interface snobs? I doubt
> that anyone uses forums because "the web is cool". They use forums
> because it's their preferred interface for communicating with others.

Alright, now what's the reason that they prefer the interface of web-based
forums over the one of email-based forums? (btw the web doesn't have
exclusivity on the word "forum"). What about asking people who don't think
that "because the web is cool" is an insult?

That said, my other paragraph was a lot more insightful and a lot less
incendiary: what if webboards were optimal for the case when one doesn't
need to do interleaved quoting? I say that from experience of spending
"too much time" reading SlashDot.

Let me say also that one nice thing in Slashdot is the scoring-and-filter
feature. I say that only from the perspective of a reader, I hardly ever
wrote on SlashDot. However, this feature is only useful to allow a
webboard to scale up well.

> The forum rules because it means more people getting into puredata, more
> community, and eventually better software for all of us. Don't like it?
> Don't use it.

Just because I'm a snob doesn't mean that I think that webboards about pd
are embarassing or should be banned. I'm not that kind of person.