[PD] Analysing sound for further processing > react with graphics

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Mon Oct 23 13:23:21 CEST 2006

Adrian wrote:

> i so far only used the graphical environment of pd. But now i'm
> searching for ways how the graphics could react to sound. To things
> like:
>
> * tempo change

[bonk~] for beat detection, [timer] to measure intervals between beats

> * volume change

[env~] is usually used for this. [snapshot~] is also quite useful in
certain situations.

> * pan change

A pair of [env~] objects, one for the left and one for the right.

> * spectrum change

[fiddle~] is quick and easy for pitch detection, otherwise you can roll
your own with PD's fft object set.

> can anybody send me some further info about how to analyse incoming sound?

Best to think about what parameters/aspects of the sound you want to
use, and how they relate to the visuals you create. Have a look at  the
examples/tutorials that come with PMPD for some other sound
visualization ideas using physical modelling.

I happen to like oscilloscope/lissajous displays for their simplicity.
You might check some of the other threads on this list for hints on how
to do this. [Scope~] is a simple one, but I'm sure you could create more
interesting ones with Gem.  The "Skrewel" instrument in Reaktor 5 has a
particularly nice one that I'd like to try to rebuild in PD someday...

d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
---Oblique Strategy # 97: