[PD] multi-speaker panning.. problamtic maths

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 19:29:31 CEST 2006

Greets, Alexandre

> i understand that atan2 outputs radiants and not degrees.
> if i divide atan2's output by pi and then multiply it with 180
> the results are not at all, what i imagine them to be,.

the result of this operation, should be between -180 and 180, right?
To put that between 0 and 360, I would use something like

[moses 0]
[+360]   |
|            /
[f ]

This would be kind of tricky in terms of math, if you want for the
intermediate joystick values (not just the direction) to control the
sound distribution.  You likely want to have the sum of squares of
your output signals to remain constant (constant total intensity)
regardless of joystick position.

Chuck