[PD] Pd freezing on startup in ubuntu dapper

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Oct 23 19:38:24 CEST 2006

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006, John Harrison wrote:

> and it was the same thing: complete computer freeze with even mouse and
> keyboard not responding, requiring me to pull the plug. I've tried both
> as root and not.

The only time that I've had the computer crash that bad, without being in
realtime mode, was when I tried using [pix_dv] that I had transplanted
into GridFlow. The kernel-based DV interface is very brittle.

The only other possibility I can think of, is defective RAM and defective
CPU, but those wouldn't crash so predictably *and* instantly. I used to
have a CPU that would crash whenever I was using it at 100% with SIMD code
for more than approx 5 minutes if I was not using the following CPU fan:

   http://artengine.ca/matju/pics/fan.jpg

but that's surely not the problem that you are experiencing.