[PD] a few beginner's questions

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Oct 24 11:50:45 CEST 2006

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, robbert van hulzen wrote:

> i don't think the list would have to be a lot friendlier, and splitting
> things into beginners and überusers would not make me happy. i've been
> lurking on the list for a while now, learning lots, enjoying the
> different angles, and happily skipping things that are too far over my
> head. [...] on to the real reason for my post.

That sounded like a good reason for posting already.

> then i was wondering whether there is a way to add more startup paths
> without using the -path flag, simply to keep things a bit tidy.

If you mean using .pdsettings on Linux, then no, this is currently not
tidier in any way. You can't handle more than 10 paths from the GUI and
you have to keep track of how many paths you have, give them all unique
names in a sequence (path1 path2 path3...), and then tell Pd again how
many paths there are because it can't figure it out. In some versions of
OSX you'll have this same thing as
~/Library/Preferences/puredata.org.plist which will be a XML file if
you're lucky, and if not, it will be a "binary" (non-text) file that is
associated with OmniOutliner, which you'll have to learn a bit in order to
be able to give pd the same hand-holding as in .pdsettings; I might have
been told that OmniOutliner as bundled with OSX is a limited evaluation
copy that may or may not expire but I didn't verify that. In Microsoft
operating systems, you'll have to use REGEDIT.EXE in a very similar way.

That's my reasons to say that .pdrc is still the main, unchallenged way to
configure pd (together with .BAT files on Microsoft). All other ways ought
to be deprecated, especially as Pd Extended clearly blows the limits of it
two-or-three-fold.

> i had some trouble adding paths to the flag,

technically, a flag is an option that doesn't take an argument. The -path
option may be called a repeatable option or something, but not a flag.

> looking at other patches, thinking lots, and finding / using the
> tutorials that will explain what i need. which usually gets me to learn
> about other things too. kind of circular learning (?).

As long as this is not a parallel with circular breathing (an oxygen
deprivation technique) or circular reasoning (a logic deprivation
technique) then I'm fine with it. :)

Maybe you want to say "hyperlearning" as in hypertext, somewhat like what
you get when you let yourself loose on Wikipedia, Everything2, or the
whole www, and that you have 94 tabs open at the same time and have
difficulty closing them because most of them are still unread and you
insist on reading them all before going to a party that started two hours
ago. In the process of reading the remaining ones you try to resist the
temptation of opening more but alas, ... whatever, been there, done that.
;-)