[PD] Modular Switching/Matrix

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Wed Oct 25 02:59:37 CEST 2006

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 22:08:34 -0500
Greg Surges <surgesg at ameritech.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm a music composition/technology major at the University of
> Wisconsin-Milwaukee, currently taking a course in PD, and also studying
> it in private lessons. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with
> matrix-type switching, i.e. a modular system in which any module can
> connect to any other module in any order. I'm especially concerned with
> expandability, in my current layout, if I have n objects, I have to have
> n-squared switches. Above a certain number, adding a module could become
> very time-consuming.

Yeah, doing it the hard way with connections means you have to wire
every permutation. Look at this example for a 4 to 4 matrix. Imagine
how much fun an 8 to 8 or higher looks like.

The most extensible way probably involves sending [connect( messages
since Pd GUI is itself very much the arbitary patcher you descibe.