[PD] Ergates game-like audiovisual instrument

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Tue Oct 24 14:08:14 CEST 2006

Hi Patrick,

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 10:13:05PM -0400, patrick wrote:
> trying ergates but failing here on my ubuntu dapper. but first of all,
> the ergates executable have -lib pdp -lib pidip, is it really useful for
> your patch?

No, you're right, it doesn't need those libraries. I put them in to try
and use them to get an audio visual capture of ergates in action.

> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
>  what():  St9bad_alloc
> Pd: signal 6

Hmmm, that is not a very good sign. This looks like a bug in an
external, or Pd itself, but it might be related to the crash that others
are experiencing. I haven't yet got Gem + pd-0.40 working so I can't
test out what they're talking about. I'll try and do a fresh checkout of
the code and see if I can reproduce it.

> socket receive error: Connection reset by peer (104)
> kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] pid | jobspec ...
> or kill -l [sigspec]
> kEnabled joystick: Logitech Inc. WingMan RumblePad
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "joystick.py", line 39, in ?
>    if __name__ == '__main__': main()
>  File "joystick.py", line 35, in main
>    s.send(txt + ";\n")
> socket.error: (111, 'Connection refused')

The very small Python script that reads joystick events and sends them to
Pd does so using a udp network connection to localhost. I think what's
going on here is it's trying to connect to the crashed Pd instance
and failing.

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx
http://mccormick.cx