[PD] [list length] counts unusual

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Oct 24 16:00:25 CEST 2006

Hallo,
Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> This seems consistent with how messageboxes handle it. (This doesn't mean
> that it's a good idea)

I'm not sure myself, what's The Right Thing to do here. Omitting the
automatic conversion to list-message in "list length" makes it
possible to easily just count the arguments without selector, and with
an additional "list" as you mention below it's still possible to count
"all" elements including selector.

However I wonder why would anybody want to only do the former: count
arguments and omiting the selector in a meta message...

> >But as all other [list] objects besides [list trim] automatically
> >convert incoming meta-messages to list-messages I think I would expect
> >the same to happen for [list length].
>
> I consider this to be a bug in pd. In the meanwhile, use a dummy [list]
> before every use of [list length] in order to force a cast.

To clarify: What exactly do you consider a bug here? The automatic
conversion in the other list-object operations or the missing
conversion in "list length"?

I'm using an additional "list" in the 0.40 version of list-len.pd now
which for pd 0.39 was constructed manually with a recursive "list
split 1" and a counter, so it does the conversion automatically.

Ciao