[pd] 100000hz+

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Thu Oct 26 11:45:20 CEST 2006

Well, first it would depend on the sampling rate that computer uses.
Anything over half the sampling rate "wraps around":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist_frequency
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist_sampling
PD -> 3.audio.examples/C01.nyquist.pd

This wrapping (i.e. foldover) is inharmonic, since it's reflected (i.e.
aliased) back down the spectrum at the same rate that our pitch
perception goes up it. That's why the tones you hear don't sound as
"musical" as the notes would indicate. I'm (not even) guessing that most
all the sounds you are hearing are these aliased frequencies, and this
would be different depending on the sampling rate, as well as whatever
lowpass filters exist in the sound card.

Short answer: yes, aliased frequencies would sound different on
different computers, and that's generally why they should be avoided.

If you wanted to reliably synthesize the same result, you could do the
math yourself (based on the difference between the frequency you want
and your current sampling rate subtracted from that sampling rate), so
that you would deliberately produce these aliased frequencies.

best,
d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl