[PD] butterworth filter

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Oct 26 21:44:27 CEST 2006

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Pall Thayer wrote:

> Yeah, I thought about that but does one then set each of the lop~'s for
> 10Hz or try to spread the 10 between them like:
> [lop~ 2.5]*4 or [lop~ 10]*4

You want to cut at 10 Hz so you put four of them at 10 Hz.

Each linear filter has a fixed gain for each frequency. The log-log
spectrum of one filter drops suddenly around 10 Hz with a straight slope.
With several filters in series, the log-log spectra add up, so the slope
becomes steeper.

I suppose that you've seen log-log graphs before? for a function y=f(x),
they have log(y) and log(x) axes, instead of y and x axes.