[pd] 100000hz+

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Fri Oct 27 04:32:30 CEST 2006

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 06:54:27AM +0100, padawan12 wrote:

> This is as expected. What Chris says is no surprise. If you render the output
> to a .wav file it is captured as a snapshot and the sample rate no longer
> has any effect (other than to change the overall playback rate). The problem
> others were trying to explain is that the synthesis patch is not independent
> of sample rate, so using the same Pd patch at different sample rates will
> produce different results. If you're recording it the problem doesn't exist.

I am not sure if I understand this distinction correctly. If I use Pd at
44100Hz to generate a high frequency wave that aliases, and save it as
a 44100Hz wave file, shouldn't that wave file be subjected to different
aliasing if I play it back at say 22050Hz? What about if I upsample it
to 96kHz? Will the aliasing weirdness disappear if the tone I played was
below 96kHz? Or is it somehow baked into the wav file. I think I am out
of my depth here.

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx
http://mccormick.cx