[PD] PD and MacIntel

Steffen stffn at dibidut.dk
Mon Oct 30 10:04:38 CET 2006

On 29/10/2006, at 22.20, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Oct 29, 2006, at 7:28 AM, Steffen wrote:
>

>> On 29/10/2006, at 2.34, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>>> I think that Intel and PowerPC should ultimately be on the same
>>> page, since 95% of it is probably the same.  The idea is to take
>>> the content from /docs/developer/darwin and put it into this wiki
>>> page, then redirect it to the wiki page.
>>
>> Yes, i see your point, i agree.
>>
>> What i'd like to see in such a page is a table describing what
>> libs (ie. Fink packages) a given external depend on. I mean, that
>> would indeed please the curious reader/user.
>
> Sounds good, perhaps a wiki page for that?  Usually, its a question
> of who does the work to keep it up to date, hopefully being a wiki
> will help with that.
>
> https://puredata.org/docs/developer/Dependencies

I guess externals overtime can alter there dependencies list, hence
making such list/table writable for all would be ideal to keep it
update - so yes, i agree.

But could I fx. start do the job? Where/how do i find out what a
given external depend on, and what externals there are (in pd-
extended)? That is, if i knew, i might have done it already. Can it
be pulled out of the ./configure info?

>> Also such information could be used in the hypothetical situation
>> where a user wouldn't want to do a complete pd-extended build, but
>> rather a subset - that is, with only a subset of the externals
>> included.
>
> Yeah, I think we should have that ability.  I think the best way to
> achieve that is with a autoconf/configure.  Then it would
> automatically find dependencies and build what it can considering.

Yes, good idea. Though the users will still need the above list of
dependencies in order to install the dependencies needs to build a
given subset of pd-extended. It might be a nice to have feature to be
able to supply a list of externals one would want build, in the
hypothetical situation where one have the dependencies for a given
external but still don't want to build it into the subset of pd-
extended.

> Its just a matter of someone doing the work.

Yes. I don't think the demand will be huge (might only be me), and
the dependencies list will be somehow needed. So it could be left
fairly low prioritized on a todo-list somewhere. But in the realm of
making a comprenhencive documentation on how to obtain different
"configurations" of  Pd i think it would be needed.