[PD] Gridflow Installation Help

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Oct 31 13:16:43 CET 2006

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, Fanouris Moraitis wrote:

> I even have a hello from ruby_stack_end_hack :-)

That's what's required for GridFlow to support Ruby 1.8 again. That's
because I'd rather not use Ruby 1.9 anymore. That said, I'm going to
migrate GridFlow to a programming language less troublesome than Ruby,
very soon.

> Why it says that uses ruby 1.8.2 if when I do ruby -v I get ruby 1.8.4 ?

Might be a problem with OSX or FINK or a conflict between the two. Do you
have two libruby.dylib installed at once?

> can't load: No such file to load -- gridflow/base/main.rb
> backtrace: (eval):1:in `require'
> (eval):1
> (eval):1

the gridflow folder should not be in your -path directly; the folder
containing the gridflow should be. The folder should be really named
"gridflow" without a version number. If you want to keep that name you
might add an alias, from finder or with the command:

   cd /Users/fan
   ln -s gridflow-0.8.4 gridflow

Unfortunately, some error messages like this appear only in the terminal.
I don't think that GDB is required in order to see those error messages,
just a terminal.

> also I wanted to ask that now that I did ./configure --no-gem08
> --no-gem09 does this mean that I cannot use gridflow with gem?

Yes, because --no-gem* had to be done because GridFlow cannot access GEM's
linker-symbols at load time. It needs that to be able to create a
[#import_pix] or [#export_pix] or anything that can go in a GEM chain.
You can't get it on OSX, because PureData loads externals using the
private linker-symbols feature. To enable GEM support in GridFlow, you
have to modify and recompile PureData. (This doesn't happen on Linux)