[PD] to gui or to nogui

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Oct 31 14:41:28 CET 2006

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006, Patco wrote:
> Mathieu Bouchard a écrit :
>> with as many clients as you want, and the ability to add more and remove
>> them at runtime.
> Excellent, so it would be possible to control one pd-server with as many
> graphical interfaces we want. If the state of a patch on the server has
> been modified from one client, how the graphical data are updated, on
> another client?

Just using more observers. DesireData uses the observer pattern for
handling graphical updates. However this does not mean that each client
needs to be registered "personally" with every server object that is
visible in that client. DesireData has that concept of observer hierarchy
so that containers can be representants for all of their contents - a
patch represents itself but also all of the objects and wires contained in
it.

Therefore a client needs only register directly with toplevel patches that
it's going to display. It does so through the [manager] class, for which
there is one instance only, but there would be one per client. One
[manager] object represents a client. All [manager] objects live outside
of any patches at all.

> It might be possible to do something like that with using rradical and
> several instances of pd, one server with -nogui, a main client, and as
> many clients as I need for different graphical interfaces, all
> communicating, with OSCx protocol.

DesireData uses the same protocol as PureData, which is a modified
[netreceive] that can also send TCL code. Switching to TCP-OSC could be an
idea, but I don't see it as being urgent at all.