[PD] Re: multi-speaker panning.. problamtic maths

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 16:52:50 CET 2006

> it possible to work this thing on eight speakers ?

Good question.  I've been thinking about just that same thing.  The
nice thing about this xy_to_amp patch is that when you pan all the way
to R/L/F/Back, it all goes to just one speaker.   And when you pan all
the way (.707,.707) in between two speakers, your opposite speakers
all have value of zero. You want to have the same thing for 8 (or any
number of speakers)...

As for the math, just draw a little picture of a circle, radius .5,
with a variable center location, and try some different positions for
the center.

BTW, I have only only two speakers, so I have no idea whether or not
it sounds good

Chuck